January 23, 2009

Open Letter to Tavis Smiley

Dear Mr. Smiley,

I just watched your program with David Johnson and his book Free Lunch. Needless to say that I was rather surprised to hear that Walmart Family gets go to keep my sales tax, instead of it going into govt coffers. I do believe that campaign finance reform is at the basis of this, and I take Mr Johnson's advice to write letters to editors, congress men, etc.

To you then, Sir, is the first letter I decided to write. Why are you doing a program like that, only to turn around, and have an advertising from Walmart at the end of your show, touting their "good citizen spirit" for donating money to some charitable org? When in reality the richest family in the USA gets tax subsidies in this form, and tries to PR its way out of this fact via donations, which in the end area also tax deductible.

I wish I could keep my income tax, donate a couple of thousand bucks a year to goodwill orgs, write that off, and get 40% back on my tax return. Alas, I do not have the lobbying power that the Walmarts have. But I gladly take your advice and write letters in order to rectify the situation.

I find this rather disingenuous of you. Please put your money where your mouth is.

Kind Regards,
P.I.

No comments:

Post a Comment