April 15, 2008

bangladesh or niederlande

Niederlande is what we call Holland in German. It means Low-Lands. When the East Antarctic Ice Sheet melts I don't know what would be worse: to be in Holland or in Bangladesh. Check out the Sea Level Rise Explorer I just picked up from Salon. The darker the color, the bigger a snorkel you will need. Have a look around and see what happens to your favorite shoreline.

You may think that this is slightly sarcastic on my part, to be posting this map, when I live in high and dry Phoenix. However, if you would scroll down my contact list, you would see at least one person in each of the worst spots on the planet, except for Bangladesh. It makes it personal.

I guess the Dutch will just build higher dams. Maybe if they are sweet, they could form a modern East India Company that helps the Bangladeshis, who happen to be east of India, dealing with their low-land issue as well.

On a side note: Do you think that even Google should refrain from making money from some of its content? I find it macabre to be subjected to Global Warming related text adds while looking at the end of the world as we know it. Which happens to be created by too much consumption of too much stuff by too many people.

2 comments:

  1. I read your site once in a while. You sound like a dude with a lava lamp, a pic of Che, and incense burning. Since you seem to have strong opinions, let me have an opinion about your site. It's cool and sounds like fun, but please prove that it's more than babblings of an insomniac. Do you have a degree in philosophy, political science, creative writing? Or are you just a dude with a head full of ideas who prefers blogging to watching football. Are you using this site to meet people, will it vanish if you fall in love? Or are you for real? I mean what's the goal of this site, where is it all going and why there? Somehow a Beetles song comes into my head when I see your site. Can you guess which?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How remarkably perceptive of you. No, not the Lava Lamp thing. Although incense have been known to hide the smell of used up words draped over chair backs like dirty socks around my place. Yup, there is a Che poster, “The revolutionary is the most highly evolved species of human being”. It is indeed a guilty pleasure to participate in that particular kitschified pop culture iconoclasm. What can I say, girl gave it to me after painting a frame for it and I took that as a compliment. The same way as I take it as a compliment that you inquire in regards to my credentials. Although I am not sure how a head full of ideas is different from someone who has a degree in either of the three mentioned disciplines. I like watching football. Although basketball is more my thing. Using this site to meet people? Hah! I think outside of my mum and my girlfriend you are the only other person reading. When I fall in love I tend to write mushy tracts of intractable convolutions. Believe me, you don’t want to be subjected to that. The goal is to channel my need to periodically unleash my head full of ideas on the unsuspecting masses (RL close to me). Which relegates you to the status of therapist. So bring out the couch, sit yourself at the head of it and tell me when my writing is shit and my words don’t ring true because that’s all I really want to do. The Beatles Song that comes to your head when you think of my site? “I wanna be your man”

    Link me your site and I will tell you who you are.

    ReplyDelete