September 29, 2008

iranian women's rights


Today I came across a piece of news in an Austrian newspaper about a verdict in Iranian courts that recently upheld a woman's right to reject a man's desire to aquire a second wife. As ridicolous as this sounds to our western sensibilities, this was important in order to halt a regression into even stonier stone age times in a muslim country of rather large importance. imho (yes yes, none of you think that I am actually that, but I try) unless women in the middle east get to live in an environment approximating the rights of women in the western world that part of the world will forever more remain stagnat in all matters of importance in competition between human societies and progress in general. You may agree with this or not, but you should at least think that a honey in Iran should have culturally adjusted similar rights to a honey in the West. Including the right to be pissed that I am calling her a honey!

For that reason I wrote a petition at:

http://www.we-change.org/spip.php?article19

To which the following is their reply, containing the text of my letter. Please feel free to copy it and send it on.

Hello,
You asked to sign the petition: International Support for Women's Campaign. You provided the following information:
Name: Peter

Site: Mindgloaming - http://www.mindgloaming.blogspot.com


To whom it may concern
I hereby express my support for womens rights in Iran and the rest of the muslim world. The recent verdict upholding a first wife's right to say no to a second wife in Iran is an important step in the right direction. However, many other issues still remain to be solved in order to grant women a proper status in Iranian society. I hope that these steps will be taken not only for womens sake but also for the sake of a freer Iranian society. Regards, Peter Illetschko IMPORTANT... To validate your signature, you just need to connect to the address below (otherwise your request will be rejected): http://www.forequality.info/spip.php?article19&var_confirm=na7982EZ〈=en#sp19
Thank you for your participation!

I wouldnt go as far as saying that I am having a great time petitioning people left, right and center. But I do think that it can be important. At least Ms. Feinstein referred to 50k financially pissed off Californians in her floor speech in the Senate. The wonders of which are that I actually received a response, that all those emails and phonecalls where counted, if not read individually, and that bloody 50k superficial, breastaugmented, nosejobbed, "what can you do for my acting career?" Californians cared enought to sit their liposucked behinds down and make the effort to write.

1 comment:

  1. As long as these three would say yes to some lucky Iranian dude marrying the lot of them, if he were rich enough, I'm on board with you.

    ReplyDelete