February 9, 2009

Open Letter, in regards to King County Metro (none) Service

This email I wrote to Candace Ferguson, staff for King County District 6 Council Woman Jane Hague.

Dear Candace,

I write to express my displeasure at the level of service provided by King Country Metro. Specifically, I speak of the infrequent scheduled rides available on bus lines. Once every 30 Minutes is not enough. Especially if the timing is unreliable at best. I was at a bus station today, on line 245 at 5.40pm. My bus should be there at .43. I waited for 40 minutes for the next bus which arrived at 18.18. I guess the first one was too early, while the second was nearly on time. In the end I spend nearly 40 minutes in the freezing cold. Experiences such as this make me want to go back to driving my car to work every day.

If local governments are urging citizens to contribute to reducing the carbon footprint, as well as all the other side effects of too much traffic, these citizens should be provided with adequate substitutes. Especially, if it is our taxes supporting this. While I understand the importance of cutting edge technology for transportation, just because it is hugely sexy for PR, doesn't mean that there are not better options readily available with a lot more bang for our buck.

As few times as the buses are scheduled to go, most people do not want to take them because if they need to change only once it will likely mean a wait of up to 30 minutes. Nobody wants to do that. I don't even want to wait that long, and I purposely live close to a Park and Ride. The 245 bus time table at the metro website plainly spoken is a lie. Buses do not go that often. Believe me, I have tried. If this happens a few more times, I will go back to driving my car out of a sense of self preservation, as I don't want to freeze to death, trying to save myself from global warming.

At peak hour the buses should go at least every 15 minutes, and 10 minutes would be preferable. During the day and late at night that is obviously not necessary.

I hope I am addressing this in a somewhat correct direction. If you think my interest would be better served at a different govt representative's office please let me know. You may also find this letter at the following address and I invite you to respond:

Thanks for your time and regards,

P.I.

2 comments:

  1. Peter you`re not in Germany where busses arrive when they have to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I know, how foolish of me :)

    But even though I promised myself that I will take the car from now on, I find myself with a bad conscience for it, and will probably go back to taking the stupid bus.

    ReplyDelete