November 14, 2007

my organic gripe

Much has been made of the current fad for organic food. It is good for you, it is healthier for you, and it does not carry any genes or pesticides that can hurt you or your children’s children. We read a book (in my case Animal Vegetable Miracle) or watch a movie and change our eating habits monumentally. Out with the none-local foods, in with the organic free range grapes. So today after I spent a few minutes worshiping the god of great bodies and steamy rooms at lunch time, I chatted with my wonderfully-open-to-new -concepts woman about organic foods and dietary habits. This topic arose because she wouldn’t let me think it was funny that she wasn’t sick of watching Sicko yet – thx bebs, you know I love me some moral absolutism, no really.
So I said, “I bought these organic grapes the other day. Half of them were rotten, the other half thick-skinned and not completely mind-bogglingly tasty.”
She said, “I am sorry, that’s the risk of a natural life my dear.” (she really is as sweet as the sweetest organic grapes)
“Well, I remember how grapes tasted on the vineyard I helped out harvesting every year in fall, and it is totally different.”
“But that vineyard was in Niederösterreich, not in Upper California.”
At that point our conversation drifted somewhat off-topic as we considered our luck at not being born in the USA, but in Austria and Cameron respectively, where the food was still real, the mildew going strong and the common cold only half as common. When we got back to talking about organics in our present diet I ventured as to how it stands to reason that if a fruit looks healthy, is possessed of a nice color and crunches when I bite into it,
as is the case with most mass produced genetically enhanced fruit and vegetable in this country , it is in effect also healthy to my system. At least as healthy as that half rotten bunch I had last week. But of course it is complete gobbledygook that a fruit is good for me just because it is nice and red, especially in our days of food coloring and genetic engineering.

I nevertheless mildly insisted on my point that even though Monsanto is hate-worthy just for being a multinational that is going to attempt to run the world through its food supply, the only way they can actually achieve that is through a good – healthy, crunchy, tasty – product. OK, there is another way, they can buy off some politicians, but that doesn’t happen, right? Not in this country of absolute political freedom in which your vote counts absolutely.

After talking about sweet things for a minute I decided to give the rotten organics another go, went to the food store, looked for the Organic Neon Sign, really telling me that everything else in that section is not organic but somehow machined, and who would want to eat something like that? and bought myself some white organic grapes from Cauliflower.

I went back to work, was reminded by a friendly Indian in the elevator that this is a lot of sugar for one sitting, washed my grapes in the kitchenette, went back to my desk, offered white organic grapes to my work mates and enjoyed the first one myself. It was bloody delicious and it tasted like home! So I texted my dear wonderfully-open-to-new-concepts woman the following: ”I just had my first organic gripe, and it is delicious!”

2 comments:

  1. My dear, standards are for grapes being ORGANIC and x-free, not for being tasty. On the Peter, Tasty-O-Meter now we can start a conversation on exactly how an organic and delicious grape should taste. Must have been a non-local grape that traveled for miles since it was squishy. I don't know of any local grapes being harvested in December, even in Arizona. Perhaps it came by horse, no a carbon-emission tasteless grape.... traveling from California. Also post-fires.

    How weird is it, really, in a world where we have to build a marketing campaign for food that is chemical-free? Then, people who are truly intelligent, will actually take time to question it, as some sort of conspiracy. Thank the universe (or the universe may just thank us) for organic becoming a "fad".

    I was at a restaurant (rode there on my BIKE) last week at the Farm at South Mountain. For the first time, one of my friends experienced the SLOW FOOD movement. We drank more, because it took longer. Regardless of the locally harvested wines (within 150 m, we could select) the food was stellar.

    Select a local crispy apple instead of a grape. Grapes grown in CA are mostly for wine. Better yet, in your beautiful backyard-grow some plants yourself and stop reading about how to live.

    Love ya Peter,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a strange mix of feeling loved and castigated at the same time. I agree on all your points, yes those grapes were from Cali, yes you are right they would not grow in Arizona in December. I dunno if there is any fruit/food that can be eaten in good conscience since nothing grows in Arizona. We would have to move to a less deserty climate.
    So either is local, and so steals water from the rest of the west coast and Mexico, or its imported so its got a huge carbon foot print. In that sense the organic grapes from Cali are probably the least evil, since its around the corner and not using pesticides. At least that was my logic at the time of purchase.
    I will still give you some eggs and chickens from my backyard when I get around to having them. I fear it will be too late though, by that time nothing will grow here anymore cuz it will 140 degrees.

    ReplyDelete